Wix or WordPress? A large number of business owners need clarification on these two platforms. Many businesses and individuals are using Wix to create their websites. But is Wix better than WordPress? Which one has the better website themes? Today, we’ll compare these popular platforms and their features.
So let’s take a look at Wix and WordPress. Let’s find out which is the best tool for developing your site.
Wix vs. WordPress: A Quick Comparison (2023)
Now we will compare Wix and WordPress. Our comparison will be based on the most crucial web development factors. Therefore, you can easily identify the best development platform for your website after reading this article.
1. Development Costs
Website development and maintenance costs are two important factors when creating a website. These costs will depend on your specific goals for your site. You should choose a website builder platform to help you achieve your main objectives within your budget. Let’s compare the Wix and WordPress website builder’s pricing and costs.
- Basic site builder: Free
- Connect Domain: US$4.50/month
- Combo: US$8.50/month
- Unlimited: US$12.50/month
- VIP: US$24.50/month
- Business Basic: US$17/month
- Business Unlimited: US$25/month
- Business VIP: US$35/month
- Apps: Free or paid (Wix App Market)
You have the option to choose either monthly or yearly payments for any one of these plans. Each plan has its bandwidth limit and storage option.
- The entire open-source platform is free for everybody to use
- Domain name and web hosting: Paid (US$2.75/month – US$29/month)
- Website themes and plugins: Free or paid (pre-made theme: $25 – $299, per plugin: US$0 – US$70)
- WooCommerce (for e-commerce): Open-source and free
2. Design Templates and Layouts
Sites will have more web traffic with well-designed templates and interface layouts. A website represents your brand identity online. Let us compare Wix and WordPress and find out which has the better collection of templates and layouts.
Wix theme templates:
- More than 900 templates (pre-made)
- Written in HTML5
- Several design categories (business, hobbies, personal etc.)
- Semi-custom Wix themes (you cannot change the whole template after selection)
WordPress theme templates:
- Can be developed from the scratch
- Free (limited support and strictly reviewed)
- Paid (available at theme shops)
- Fully customisable templates (you can replace it with another WordPress website theme)
3. Difficulty of Use
The easier it is to use a website-building platform, the quicker you’ll be able to build a site. We will now compare the difficulty of using Wix and WordPress. This factor is crucial for choosing the right platform for your web requirements.
- Easy-to-use interface for developing websites
- No need to learn to code
- Convenient drag and drop feature
- Best for beginners
- Basic knowledge of HTML is helpful
- More flexible options
- Editor elements are not similar to live content
- Suitable for more experienced developers
4. Available Plugins and Apps
Plugins and apps are fantastic additions that increase the functionalities of the development platform. Your web development process will be more efficient with the right plugins. You’ll have access to a range of features as well. Now, we’ll talk about the plugins and apps offered by Wix and WordPress.
Wix plugins and apps:
- Limited customization of the features
- Tested to ensure proper function
- Overall quality is better
- Mostly free, paid apps can be purchased from Wix App Market
WordPress plugins and apps:
- Highly customizable features
- You can develop the plugins and apps from the scratch
- Huge library, but there are low-quality plugins as well
- Crashes can cause significant issues for your site
5. For E-commerce
Both Wix and WordPress are popular options for building e-commerce stores. When creating these sites, developers must develop a good-looking, user-friendly interface. They also have to ensure that the website performs well and has a good SEO position. Let’s take a look at the e-commerce solutions on Wix and WordPress.
Online store section of Wix:
- A range of pre-set features like payment and shipping
- Can support multiple languages for your site
- Not suitable for large sites with many products
- Good for small businesses or brands
WordPress plugins such as WooCommerce:
- More versatile compared to Wix
- The plugin is free, but specific features are paid
- It can be used to build any e-commerce site
- Suitable for large-scale e-commerce projects
6. Website Security
Website security is a critical factor that you have to consider. With the growing threat from hackers, your site should have powerful security features to protect your data and privacy. So you should pay attention to this vital issue when building your website. Let us know more about the security features of Wix and WordPress.
Wix security features:
- Wix handles your overall website security
- Control over a few features, such as password selection and authentication
- The site owner has limited access to security control
- Your website will be protected if your payments are cleared
WordPress security features:
- The site owner has complete control over the security
- More flexible data protection and security options
- You have more web maintenance responsibilities with WordPress
- Various security plugins are available such as iThemes Security Pro
Our Final Verdict
There are fundamental differences between Wix and WordPress. So which one is the ultimate website development platform? Well, it depends on your goals and capabilities.
A Wix website is a good choice if you have limited access to skilled developers or have little knowledge of coding. You can build an attractive website quickly for small businesses on this platform.
However, WordPress offers a much more comprehensive range of features. The great thing about WordPress is that a good developer can build any website at a lower initial cost.
Therefore, our vote goes to WordPress. The capabilities of this platform are diverse, and there are far more web development possibilities.
So there you have it. We hope you are more aware of the differences between Wix and WordPress. We’re sure you can now make a better decision for your website. Before choosing a website builder, you should evaluate your specific goals, capabilities and budget. Ensure that the website themes are attractive, the interface is user-friendly, and your website is secure. All the best!